Me, moving forward...

So this is all about me! 2006 is my year, the year I'm gonna move forward from my problems & the rut I'm been stuck in. I got some stuff to sort out & some ambitions I wanna make happen. Hope you can join me for the ride...

Monday, September 18, 2006

Now into Week Three

So I am now in my third week at EDF Energy. Its going...well. I suppose! Its still early days and if I'm brutally honest EDF do not excell at well organised injuctions. In all the pre-employment gumph I got from the company, along with what we were told at the assessment evening, all new starters would go straight into a training programme lasting between 2 and 6 weeks depending on which post you had been hired for. That has not been even close to what has happened.

On day one myself & another new lad called Shayne were met from reception by Sue & Lisa. They took us up to our 'team' where we were given a brief introduction to everyone and then we sat down to go through the New Starter Form which is intended to be completed by the Team Managers. Steve, our Team Manager however was on holiday & Sue had never been through the form before so didn't really understand it (I have to say it really wasn't clear what was being described in each section) We were given a tour of the building which was lacking in a few obvious things (Where are the fire extinguishers/break-glass alarms? How do we top-up our swipe card for lunch?)

Then the final blow, just while we are wondering what the deal is with when we will be joiningthe training group (maybe tomorrow?!) we were told that actually we wouldn't be getting the full training programme, only one week, and we won't be getting that until 25th September!

Hmm...well, I can't knock Sue for the way she has helped us & we have had a few good chances to get onto the company computer systems which can only work in our favour. Most of the people have been fine although there is one bitchy girl (theres always one, right?!) She's only 17 and thinks she's the big 'I-Am' but actually she just gets on everyones nerves! Being there has made me realise (once again) what a small world it is - there are alot of familar faces including a couple from school.

Right I've had my bitch about work but lets look at the bigger picture - its bound to be hard to get into it at first since its dealing with a totally new business & things ARE clicking into place. The company might get it wrong at the beginning but if you are big enough to get through that then the benefits offered to the staff are really good - they offer great training grants, discount trips & treats, good bonus scheme & pay structure. And they are really into 'Work-Life Balance' with the opportunity to be quite flexible on hours so long as they fit in with company requirements & the team. And believe me - working 40 hours a week with no weekends or late nights = BLISS!!!

Well, there you have it - my update on EDF so far. It can only get better & I am in it for the long haul.

Tomorrow I am off to Birmingham with Courtenay to see McFly (yay!) so will let you know how that goes.

Till then...

2 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

Your job must me much better than mine: you didn't bitch for nearly as long as I did.

19/9/06 6:42 pm  
Blogger T-A said...

I didn't dare start getting into a really good bitch about it as I am worried that if I do I'm likely to realise just how bad it really is & wonder what on earth I am expecting to achieve there!! No, its bound to improve...right?!

23/9/06 2:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home