Me, moving forward...

So this is all about me! 2006 is my year, the year I'm gonna move forward from my problems & the rut I'm been stuck in. I got some stuff to sort out & some ambitions I wanna make happen. Hope you can join me for the ride...

Sunday, February 04, 2007

A’Visiting I Go!

I have had a really nice weekend – I went to visit Clare in Salisbury. I was up early on Saturday to make sure I wouldn’t arrive with Clare too late. I finally got away from home at about 9 and spent the whole way cursing – firstly the fact I was driving into the sun and secondly the fact that the A303 is a totally SHITE road!

Anyways, I got to Clare’s in good time (at about 10.30) After somewhat surprising her since I had driven so quickly we motivated ourselves to go into town (Dave was still in bed) we headed in Salisbury town. I was intending to get some cash out but I managed to leave my wallet in the car so Clare lent me some money. We headed to Subway for food (we were REALLY hungry!) Clare then showed me the culinary delights of Salisbury starting with an Aladdin’s Cave of a cook shop! I could have bought everything in the shop (I didn’t but I COULD have!) We then went to a great shop that sold all different oils, vinegars and accompaniments (along with a lot of wine!) They had so many tasters and samples that we could have bypassed Subway but never mind! Again, I had to resist the need to buy everything in sight.

After a wonder around some other shops and the market (where I bought a bag of mixed Turkish Delight) Clare took me to ‘look through the window’ at the chocolate shop. Now, I know this sounds odd but Clare claims Dave only ever let her look, never actually go in (much the same as Grandma did to me with some Black Forrest Gateaux when we were IN the Black Forrest!) Anyway, we looked through the window and it looked good…so, we went inside! Just to look! So we looked closer from inside and it looked and smelt good…so we decided to stay and have a drink! On sitting down and just taking an quick look at the menu we decided against the Hot Chocolate and opted instead to have a cold drink…and a piece of cake! Clare went for the Chocolate Fudgey Cake and I obviously had to choose the BFG (Black Forrest Gateaux not the Big Friendly Giant!)

OMG – the slices were HUGE! Clare’s cake was like a solid brick of chocolateness! Gorgeous but SO sickly rich. My BFG was rich but not too rich. By the time we finished, well I finished – Clare just couldn’t finish! Then just as we were attempting to bend over to pick up our bags and pay the owner announced “It’s 4pm on a Saturday…I think it’s time for a chocolate!” and with that offered up a tray full of beautiful looking chocs! So wanted one but no room! Playing for time, Clare asked what they all were and then picked the only one he didn’t know (new sample!) so she had to eat it there and then to tell him what she thought! Turned out it was an ultra rich dark chocolate surrounded by white chocolate – really nice but not what she needed after the slab of cake! I picked a yummy Baileys Surprise which was a soft, Bailey’s flavoured fondant sounded by milk chocolate. After our chocolate extravaganza we walked…well no, waddled around to the cathedral which look stunning in the late sunshine.

We made our way back to Clare and Dave’s flat via Smiths to get Clare’s knitting magazines and Blockbuster to get a DVD (we wanted Chocolat (!) but they didn’t have it so we opted for Little Miss Sunshine) When we got back to the flat Dave had surfaced (well obviously, it was quite late in the day!) but he was surprised we still had to get the ingredients for the dinner! After a quick sit down I had my first introduction to Waitrose (where I forgot my wallet AGAIN!) Clare made a lovely Beef and Ale casserole (which I want the recipe for please Clare!) She also managed to freeze the wine but it was all ok in the end! We watched the first of our DVDs while the casserole was doing it’s thing – High School Musical. Hmm, it is so hilariously bad its well, bad! Clare’s face was a picture from start to finish! Classic! We then sat down for food was yummy, wine was (very!) chilled and the company was great.

After dinner we watched Little Miss Sunshine which was a brilliant movie. I wanted to watch it at the cinema but John wasn’t keen but I am really glad I have seen it now. Come the end though I just couldn’t stay awake any longer so Clare, dear of her, made up the airbed and I put my head down for the night after a really enjoyable day.

Sunday I was awake early but I read my magazine for an hour or so before getting up. Clare surfaced when I started putting dishes in the sink! We headed into town for me to treat Clare to Sunday lunch. We went to The Haunch of Venison for a gorgeous mixed roast, which we hoped to follow up with Bread & Butter Pudding, but they had no B&B (apparently it was ‘yesterday’!) so we both went for the Sticky Toffee Pud. A really nice meal. After picking up a couple bottles in the Oil & Vinegar shop I decided it was time to head home. Again I picked the wrong time of day – leaving Salisbury at half 2 had me driving with a faceful of sun the whole way home which gave me a headache!

Even a headache couldn’t make the weekend a bad one though – it was really great catching up with Clare and I had a lovely time. Salisbury is a really nice place and knowing Clare is there just gives me more reason to go back.

So, thank you Clare for a lovely weekend and thank you Dave for letting me impose and pinch your girlfriend for a weekend.

Oh, and Dave does look like James McAvoy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! Whenever I see James McAvoy on tv now i ask Dave why he hadnt told me he was going to be on tv!
It was a pleasure to have you for the weekend - you can come back anytime!
xxx

15/2/07 7:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right - here's the recipe (I halved the quantities for ours)

Jo's Beef & Ale Casserole (Serves 4-6)
Ingredients
2lb Beef
Oil
12oz onions - finely chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 pint brown ale
tsp vinegar
thyme
french stick
french mustard
grated cheese (optional)

Method
1. fry onions until soft and brown, then take them out of the pan.
2.Cube beef and roll in seasoned flour. Add to hot pan to seal.
3.Put cooked onions and sealed beef in a casserole dish.
4.Add ale.
5.Cover meat with water.
6.Add vinegar, suagr and thyme. Season.
7.Cook at about 150C for approx 2hours (covered).
8.Slice bread diagonally into 1in slices (one for each person) and cover with mustard (and grated cheese if using)
9. After 2 hours, uncover casserole, place croutons on top and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes or until bread has become golden.

The end!x

15/2/07 7:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home